Friday, June 22, 2007

The Price of a Beer in Boston

Weapons are tools of bad omen,
By gentlemen not to be used;
But when it cannot be avoided,
They use them with calm and restraint.
Even in victory's hour
These tools are unlovely to see;
For those who admire them truly
Are men who in murder delight.

— From the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu




As last call was sounded at the Six House bar in South Boston last Sunday morning, someone spilled a drink. A few moments later, 26-year-old Adam Rich paid for it with his life.

As reported in the news, Rich was stabbed to death during a confrontation that was apparently sparked by a spilled beer. A friend of Rich's was also stabbed three times during the assault. He survived, but Adam Rich's life is over. His family is devastated. The life of Rich's alleged attacker, 38-year-old Bernard Piscopo, is forever ruined, too: I'm sure he didn't head out to the bar that evening thinking, "I'm gonna kill a man tonight." But somehow, that's how things seem to have turned out. And now, he's facing murder charges. It's a shame.

For heaven's sake, when did beer get so expensive?

The lesson for martial artists — for all of us — is clear: knives are dangerous and deadly. It's best to never use them (as Lao Tzu advised), or face anyone who has one. I hope that my students are paying attention — especially my intermediate-level students, because I'm currently introducing them to knife attack techniques and defenses. Defensively, I teach my students how to move against a knife-wielding opponent, how to protect their vital areas, how to disarm someone wielding a blade, to be aware of one's surroundings, and — above all — to always, always, ALWAYS keep an eye on the knife. Offensively, I teach my students the various ways to grip a knife, along with knife strategies, tactics, and the vulnerable points for attack. We train with serious intent, but with rubber knives, padded floors, and a collaborative training environment, I sometimes wonder if I'm really getting through to them. Perhaps this incident will help to drive my point home. (Yes, pun intended.)

Do I have your attention now?

The reality is that knives are everywhere. I carry a pocket knife myself. It's convenient. I'm almost never without it. After all, you never know when you're going to need to slice open an envelope, open a stubborn package, or cut a piece of rope. And, being a folding knife with a single-edged blade that's under two-and-a-half inches in overall length, my knife is perfectly legal to carry. (For those of you who are interested, the Boston ordinance on the carrying of knives can be found here.)

In my classes, I cover the principles of using deadly force in self-defense situations. I stress to my students that they should get away from a dangerous situation if they can. I teach them that nothing they carry in their wallet is worth the risk of being stabbed or shot. And if my students should ever find themselves in a bar at closing time when someone spills a drink, I hope that cooler heads prevail.

Training in the martial arts is supposed to teach us more than just defensive skills — everyone knows this. As we train, we're also expected to learn about martial virtue. Respect, Compassion, and Discipline top the list of things that we study to help keep us balanced, calm, and under control. We are taught about the fragility of the human body in the hopes that we'll come to understand and appreciate the precious value of a human life. These are the lessons that we must carry outside the dojo walls. Everyone needs to learn these lessons, whether or not they train in the martial arts!

We teach peace and stress nonviolence in my dojo. I proudly walk this talk: lately, I've been studying mindfulness techniques and practicing nonviolent communication. I want my dojo to be known as a center building for life skills, a place for peace education. But still, if push ever came to shove, and if all other options were exhausted, I know that because of my martial arts training, I'm physically and mentally ready to use my knife to protect myself or my family. It's quite a paradox, really. I struggle with it all the time.

This week, a man's life has been exchanged for the cost of a draft beer, an apology, and a trip to the dry-cleaners. Earlier I asked, "When did beer get so expensive?" But the real question is this: "When did life get so cheap?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outstanding post Sensei Jason
I, too, struggle with with the seeming paradox of teaching peace in a martial environment. On the other hand, I think the real problem is the disconnection we feel from the natural world and the natural order in that world. If we can connect our students to the world maybe they won't view the world as a big video game.
Thanks for your insight -- SBN John Mariotti

jenelle said...

I just happened to be searching through the web and came across your blog on my brothers' murder. I think that is is a great that you are teaching your students how to defend themselves against a knife. I wish that my brother had the knowledge walking in to the six house bar the night he got stabbed eight times by Bernard Piscopo. Adam was one of ten children, he has lil brothers and sisters that find it hard to sleep at night knowing that their brothers murderer is out and about..knowing that he could stike again. Adam, 26 of Revere was the type of kid who was outgoing and courageous. He was the type that would never back down from a fight! I always told him "one day you will meet your match" do I regret that YES! I regret that cause he is gone...did he meet his match? NO! He met someone who knew nothing about self defense and who's pride was easily hurt. MY brother met metal. Fighting cause you enjoy the sport is great! Fighting cause you don't like someone is not worth it. It is not worth your life and you never know whether or not you are going to meet someone who had other plans for the night. I hope that justice will be served and my brothers murderer will be behind metal bars for the rest of his life. I wish you and your students the best and just wanted to say thank you!

Sincerely

Jenelle Rich
Revere, MA

Sensei Jason Gould said...

Dear Jenelle,

I am deeply grateful that you had the courage to reach out with your comment. Your brother's death was a tragic and unnecessary event -- one that made me re-think my motivations for teaching the martial arts, and ponder the futility of violence. I am very sorry for your loss.

As a martial artist, I know that our bodies are fragile, and more and more I am realizing the preciousness of every moment. Beyond knife defense techniques, my student's training also includes training in anger management, conflict resolution, and nonviolent communication -- these are "self-defense" skills, too!

I would love the opportunity to connect with you. Please contact me at 617-230-1973 or jason.gould@karateinboston.com.

May we all walk in peace.

Jason

Sensei Jason Gould
Director / Chief Instructor
Emerald Necklace Martial Arts
(617) 230-1973
www.karateinboston.com

"Confidence, Character, Community."

Anonymous said...

I thank you very much, webmaster, for this great blog. I really appreciate your posts.