Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Albert Einstein Theory of Self-Defense

I received an interesting phone call last night: A gentleman called our dojo to ask how long it would take him to become proficient at self-defense if he were to begin training with us. I resisted the urge to babble on about the history of our art. I didn't want to tout the effectiveness of the techniques that I teach when they are applied to "real-life street situations." And, I also didn't want to give a vague, "well, that depends on a number of factors..." kind of response.

I was curious, so I decided to listen.

"That's a great question," I said. "Can you tell me why you're asking it?"

The answer I got was interesting:

"Well, I just think that the way things are going in the world today, I think it would be a good idea if I learned how to take care of myself."

Hearing this, I asked a few quick probing questions to try to determine if the man on the phone was in any immediate danger. Given my background and experience, I feel an obligation to provide training, information, and resources to anyone in need. Physical safety comes first, before trying to enroll a new student or impress someone with my knowledge and/or personal skills.

But I got the sense that the man on the other end of the phone was not specifically threatened. Rather, he seemed to be feeling pessimistic and increasingly insecure about the world we live in. And who can blame him? There are shootings and muggings in the city every day. People are tense and nervous about the economy and its inevitable effect on civility. The evidence of impending doom is all around us, and it all gets piped into our homes in multimedia, full-color, high-definition — with stereo surround sound to boot.

I told the man that if he was interested in learning about physical self-defense and safety, we could certainly accommodate him. After all, we are a karate school, and we are in the business of teaching blocks and strikes to people of all ages and levels of ability. "But," I told him, "true self-defense is about awareness and avoidance of physical conflict, even if you are very good at punching people in the face."

Even as the words left my mouth, though, I was reminded of a quote often attributed to Albert Einstein, wherein he supposedly stated that the most important decision we make is whether we believe we live in a friendly or hostile universe. The thinking goes that one's answer to that question will determine one's destiny.

So, I then started to talk to the man on the phone about the underlying values of our dojo, and that while we take the study of our art very seriously, we are also committed to changing the world by making positive contributions to it.

"We also practice self-defense by getting involved in our neighborhoods and our communities and by hanging around people that share common values and a desire for peace. I believe that our actions make a difference, and that by taking these positive actions, we ultimately make ourselves — and our families and our communities — happier, and healthier, and safer."

Before he hung up the phone, the gentlemen thanked me, and he told me that he would consider coming in for a trial class.

2 comments:

Neville said...

Thanks for modeling situational leadership and probing for the meta-message that was below the surface of the original question.

In the same way that if you explore the angry man you find underneath a crying man, here we get to reassess the foundational benefits of traditional martial arts IN THE CONTEXT of both our internal and external climate.

Perhaps fortifying ourselves as a form of psychic self defense to create our own internal climate regardless of outer conditions is as much a core competency of our practice as anything else.

We often can't choose what happens to us, but we can almost always choose how to interpret what happens to us...

Thanks for sharing this and giving your caller his first lesson without ever entering the dojo

Matt said...

What a great experience. All too often we hear the doctrine of "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst" which sets us up for the worst! Although maintaining focus on the best at all times can be a challenge, working towards it can be very rewarding. Thanks for bringing some martial meaning to a great quote. The thought decisions we make truly shape the world around us.

I find that how one asks a question quite often predetermines the answer they want to hear.

Thanks for sharing this too!