Thursday, May 8, 2008

Beware of the Dream Killers

I recently sat down to catch up with a long time mentor and friend of mine, who asked about some of the things I've been working on. Particularly, he asked about my dojo, and about my plans to expand it by growing our membership and moving into a larger, more expensive training space.

My friend was sincerely curious; He has always given me sound advice. I rely on him because I know he's always got my best interests in mind. But during our conversation, I got the uncomfortable sense that he was hoping that I'd back off just a bit from my ambitious goals. He didn't say these words, but during our conversation I could hear, "Come on, man. Be reasonable. The risk is big, the payoff uncertain, and you've got your career and family to think about... Why don't you just play it safe?"

My dear friend, I hear you. Thank you for your genuine concerns.

My dear friend, I hear you. I promise that I won't do anything (too) rash. I'll develop reasonable plans and strategies as I move forward. I'll be careful, but I can't play it safe. I know there are no guarantees. But I also know that this is something I have to do. It's a calling. I don't expect you to understand.

Move forward I will. Becuase to not move forward would be to deny my own heart. To not move forward would crush my spirit. (Just imagine asking DaVinci not to create!)

My dear friend, I hear you. But I'm listening to my heart today, and not (entirely) to you. Today, I'm playing "all out."

So please, I ask, with all the love I can muster: Get behind me, or get out of the way.

No comments: